Monday, May 26, 2014

When Leaders Become Followers?


If there is one thing I am certain of, it is that I cannot lead others where I have never been. There are a lot of directions that I can take you on my own. However, as I may seem to have good advice to give, and be able to keep you from making unwise decisions from time to time, I am very limited. Anything GOOD that has ever came from me was God, and anything BAD that ever came from me was all me. As a pastor, I realize that it is impossible for me to know where to lead our church next if I am not consistently hearing from God and seeking the wisdom that only he can give. As a leader, I must be a follower.

It is imperitive for every believer to clearly and consistently be hearing from God. True leaders are in their Bibles and letting the Word of God speak to them in profound ways. This is how you become a great leader. There was no greater leader than Jesus. He is the one we follow.  

What happens when a leader begins to follow and hear the voice of God?

  1. The leader's life is transformed by the power of God. (Acts 1:8) But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
  2. The leader's family sees a noticeable change in that person and is grateful.
  3. The leader's perspective on life is different. (Romans 12:2) And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
  4. The leader impacts others with their time, talents, and treasures. (2 Corinthians 9:7)
  5. The leader sees consistent growth in their knowledge and understanding of who God is and what this life is truly all about.
  6. The leader is equipped to lead people better than ever before because the leader has been instructed on what to do next. (Psalm 32:8) I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. or (Isaiah 11:2) The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.
  7. The leader leads others to find and follow Jesus by leading by example. The leader masters the ability to serve God in any and every capacity that is necessary. 
  8. There is no limit to His desire to want to serve. (Look at Paul's life-Even unto death!)
  9. Others are drawn to what God is doing in the leaders life, because God is doing something special in YOU! (Philippians 1:6) Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; 
  10. Others naturally have the desire to follow the leader because the leader learns to lift up the Leader-JESUS! (John 12:32) And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself. 
When leaders become followers, everything changes. Their world is turned upside-down. I am convinced more now than ever that LEADERS-LEAD. It is easy to give ourselves the title of Leader, but if we are not doing the things that God has asked us to do in His Word, then we must re-evaluate whether we are truly leading or not. 

There are a lot of "leaders" who want the title, but not the responsibility. Beware of these people. The Bible refers to them as wolves in sheep's clothing and as busybodies. They are immature in their knowledge of Jesus and are still babies in Christ. (Hebrews 5:12-13) Maturity as a believer isn't measured by knowledge but rather by action. Paul said, "Faith without our works is dead." 

So how do we measure if we are maturing as followers of Jesus? Here are a few quick thoughts:

  • Are we reading God's Word consistently?
  • Are we giving to God faithfully our tithes and offerings?
  • Are we involved in a ministry team that is making a difference?
  • Are we helping others experience the life-giving love of Jesus? 
  • Are others naturally following us as we follow Jesus? (1 Corinthians 11:1) "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment